It is possible to generate an SSH key on Windows through Putty SSH client. Putty can be downloaded for free online.
For generating a key with Putty, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download and start the puttygen.exe generator.
- In the parameters section, select ‘SSH2 DSA’ and click on Generate.
- Randomly move your mouse in the small screen for generating the key pairs.
- Enter a key comment that will identify the key, this is useful when you are using many SSH keys.
- Enter the passphrase and confirm it. This paraphrase protects your key. You will be prompted to enter the passphrase when you connect through SSH.
- Click on ‘save private key’ for saving the private key.
- Click on ‘save public key’ for saving the public key.
If you are looking for professional Windows hosting platforms, check – https://www.milesweb.co.uk/windows-hosting.php